Monday, February 2, 2009

The Sounds



JANUARY 27 – 30, 2009

For these few days we were in Te Anou in the Fiordlands…a huge national park in the south island. We stayed at a B&B a bit outside of town where we were able to feed the sheep and deer that were on the property. We had a very nice little cabin all to ourselves. On the second day we drove a couple hours north to Milford Sound. We took a cruise around the sound and were able to see waterfalls, seals, and a few dolphins. It was a very pretty area. It made me feel like we were seeing the sound the way it was when it was first discovered. That’s how “untouched” it seems. The third day we began our overnight kayaking trip in Doubtful Sound. Do you know the difference between a fiord and a sound? We didn’t either and apparently neither did Captain Cook who discovered Doubtful in the late 1700’s. Just a little trivia for you all…a fiord is carved by a glacier, whereas a sound is a river valley that has been flooded by the sea.

Now I’m not exactly sure how to interpret this kayaking experience in Doubtful. If I had written this blog while I was on the water, it would probably sound something like this…

“Day one: I’m thinking about purposely breaking my leg so that I can be airlifted back to the B&B. Someone save me. I’m dirty, cold, and covered in sand flies. Please send in reinforcements soon. I’m not above mutiny.”

Now that I’m on dry land recalling my experience, it is a little different. The weather was cloudy and drizzly for our trip, which was actually a good thing because it allows you to see the waterfalls in all their glory. Also, it keeps the sand flies at bay. These terrible, tiny beasts are like biting fruit flies. They swarm you when get close to the shore. Not a lot of fun for camping…which we did. I’m told I was not a happy camper, but I don’t really remember as I have blocked out good amounts of time of this trip. Truth be told, it was an amazing place to see. We only saw about 3 boats during our time there and one other kayaking group. It was almost complete solitude. I haven’t even mentioned the 37 kilometers we paddled…in 2 days time (I’m not going to bother converting that number into miles because it sounds way more impressive in km’s). We saw a lone seal and were able to get very close to him. It was neat to see him just perched on a rock, yawning and scratching himself before plopping down for a nap. Yes, it was as magical as it sounds. :)

2 comments:

Donna Snider said...

I am so glad you do not take after your Aunt Donna or you wouldn't be having such an incredible adventure. What a magical life you are creating together. Thanks for sharing all of this beauty with us. Love, dfs

Nicole said...

Hey Liberty, I was reading about the fires in Austrailia and started wondering how you are so I popped into your blog. Looks like you've had a ton of fun, but not at school yet? Maybe you're there by now. Also, I'm VERY impressed with your roughn' it abilities!

We've been in Mexico for about a month now and so far so good. Still can't talk much Spanish, but I'm LOVING the weather! We have a blog I post to every week or so. Feel free to check it...www.theradrollins.com.

Enjoy the last semester! Will we see you at graduation?